Fandom

Wikianswers

Welcome! Enter your question below. Please use words like "Who, What, Where, When, Why, How, etc..." in your question. Nothing to ask? Click here for a random, un-answered question.

How are x-rays made?

1,033,467questions on
Wikianswers
Add New Page
Talk0 Share

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.

A filament, a small light bulb, burns off electrons in a process called thermionic emission. The filament is attached to the negatively charged cathode, which rests opposite from a positively charged anode. The polarity difference accelerates the electrons towards the anode at near light-speed. The electrons strike a target that is attached to the anode. The accelerated electrons strike electrons orbiting the target's atoms, dislodging them and releasing energy. 99 percent of this energy is released as heat, the remaining 1 percent is released as x-ray. The target is angled to help aim the x-rays.

The anode target is often made of tungsten, which has a high atomic number. This increases the number of electrons orbiting the atom, thus increasing the chance of an accelerated electron striking something. The entire tube is housed in a vacuum, and has lead shielding to absorb scattered x-rays. The tube is also sealed in an oil solution to help reduce the chance of electrical shock and to help dissipate heat faster. Modern x-ray tubes use a rotating anode to prevent the same spot from being struck repeatadly by accelerated electrons, which would cause pitting no the surface.

Also on Fandom

Random Wiki