Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The answer depends on many things. To be more specific, you need to know:
The initial state of the gallon of water.
- If the water is already frozen, the answer is: No time at all.
- The water temperature. Most of the time, you can assume that all of your water is initially of the same temperature, but maybe your case is different.
- The shape of the water. Is it compact, for example in a bottle, or distributed in many drops, as in a cloud, or does it coat a surface?
The dynamic properties of the environment of the water, including
- the radiation temperature - If it's in a warm place, it may never freeze.
- the pressure - If the pressure is low enough, the water may evaporate before it has a chance to freeze.
- any temperature and heat conduction properties of the medium or media that the water is in contact with, for example the walls of a container, gases such as air, other fluids, or vacuum.
In summary, this is not yet a question that has a definite answer, the question needs to be much more precise.