Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Milky Way is the galaxy that we live in.
"The Milky Way, sometimes called simply the Galaxy, is the galaxy in which the Solar System is located. It is a barred spiral galaxy that is part of the Local Group of galaxies. It is one of billions of galaxies in the observable universe."
- SBbc (barred spiral galaxy)
- 100,000 light years
- 1,000 light years (stars)
- Number of stars
- 200 to 400 billion
- Oldest known star
- 13.2 billion years
- 5.8 × 1011 M☉
- Sun's distance to galactic center
- 26,000 ± 1,400 light-years
- Sun's galactic rotation period
- 220 million years (negative rotation)
- Spiral pattern rotation period
- 50 million years
- Bar pattern rotation period
- 15 to 18 million years
- Speed relative to CMB rest frame
- 552 km/s
|Includes CC-BY-SA content from Wikipedia's Milky_Way article (authors)|