Banana trees are mostly grown for their fruit which contain vitamins and potassium.
Parts used in cooking:
- The fruit.
- The flowers.
- The core of the trunk (for example in mohinga).
Uses outside of cooking:
- The juice extracted from the core is used to treat kidney stones and jaundice.
- The leaves are used to for cooking, storage, and serving food.
- The leaves and shoots are used as for making textiles.
- The trunk is used for fibres in rug-making.
- The fibre and bark is used to make paper