There are many reasons people change their names. Some are
- They are participating in an illegal activity and don't want to use their own names.
- They got married.
- They are entering a new phase in life and want a name that feels more appropriate.
- They wish to honor someone they've loved or respected.
- Too many people confuse them with someone else with the same or similar name.
- They've moved from one place to another (perhaps where another language is spoken). Too many people mess up their name, so they pick a name that's easier and more familiar to the people in their new locale.
- They didn't like the name their parents gave them.
- They got tired of a nickname.